Friday, June 20, 2008

Coffee

I'm noticing that all novels so far have a lot of coffee drinking in them. :) All stories I've read thus far were published between 1965 - 1971.

[And also, in two stories thus far all soda beverages are referred to as "Cokes." Back home (Iowa) it was "pop." Ask for "Cokes" and you'd be given Coca-Cola. My 1st brother-in-law said "Cokes." But he could mean a Sprite or a Pepsi (so why not call the product by its real name?)]

I was born in 1965 and my parents became anti-social in the early '70s, so there was no "let's have coffee at 8 PM" with friends at our home.

Last evening while reading the current novel (will review it when finished), sure enough the heroine prepares coffee (and toast) before turning in for the night.Characters always brewing up a pot of coffee whether it's morning or mid-afternoon or late evening. Caffeine past 6 PM?? Not for me. But it's cool in the stories. ;)

It's a nice social graces touch. Social graces are, at least in this area, mostly dead. Many of these stories are bringing back certain memories of when people were more willingly connected. I miss those days...

Of course some of these stories could use a bit more coffin than coffee -- lol.

No comments: