Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Dark of Memory [Paula Minton]


Can't recall which year it was published [for the Title Line, but doesn't matter]. I obtained the scan from Fantasticfiction.co.uk web site.

Took me all of 30 minutes to decide I wasn't going to spend more time on this lemon. Ms. Minton [or whoever s/he was] spends an inordinate amount of time on superficial descriptions: Down to characters' shoes. Minute, minute.

What cinched it for me was when she criticized a lead character's penchant for droning on and on [more minute] regarding the various courses of the fancy French dinner she was consuming. Ms. Minton describes that character as being SO talkative because she loved the sound of her own voice.

That's the first time I've seen projection (of a fault) of a writer onto a fictional character!

My advice? Skip it.

No comments: