Friday, January 8, 2010

The Vampire Tarot, by Robert M. Place [2009]


As recently mentioned, I purchased this deck in late November. Have been reading the accompanying book (will post regarding it tomorrow). Last evening and this, I unwrapped and studied the cards. They are *MESMERIZING* - bold and powerful! I've not yet encountered so powerful a Tarot deck as this one, but then it IS rooted in the application of Jungian psychology to Bram Stoker's "Dracula." The art is phenomenal, imo; certain cards have an almost 3-D effect, as if you could push your finger into it and feel textures. I was instantly engrossed. The colors are enticing, and some are tones and hues I've never seen before. Also, many lovely contrasts with stark solid black. :-)

My only criticism of the deck are the Court cards: I dislike historical figures used to represent some of them (others are represented by fictional characters). Why do I dislike the use of historical figures? Because they were real people, and why should I presume each individual *would have* represented the essence of the card?

I wanted to include as many scanned cards as possible in this post (found via Google images), but NONE of the scans do the cards true justice. If you think the images in this post are lovely then buy the deck, see the real cards and prepare to have your socks knocked off.

No comments: