Friday, December 4, 2009

Gothic Tarot of Vampires



















Mmmm...I'd like that gorgeous vampire to bite me! ;-p If memory serves, this Tarot was manufactured in the mid-1990s. It is still being manufactured last I knew, though my years-old deck is stashed safely away. Unfortunately my favorite cards in the deck (a vampire hanging upside down and somehow magically toasting another standing on the floor [the wine in his chalice held by reverse gravity apparently], and also the sensuous embrace of a vampire and vampiress) are not available online.

It is a somewhat violent and disturbing deck of cards; a sort of fierce beauty I often don't like. It's also a strange cocktail of European sophistication, Detroit gritty city, "The Crow"-esque: Sometimes sauve and elegant, other times back-alley and grimy. I can't think of a single adjective to describe it. The inclusion of Japanese dwarf trees (of all things!) in a couple of cards is outright outlandish. It's a busy deck with a hodge-podge of semi-related images. Frankly I sometimes think it's the stupidest deck ever, yet...it does all come together somehow.

More information:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/gothic-vampires/details.shtml

No comments: